Ski-Blog.com

Ski Blog... Been doing this since 2005!

« 101" in 7 days at Wolf Creek | Main | Phoenix Ski Pro was a Rockin' Last Night »

December 12, 2007

Arizona Snowbowl Opens Tomorrow

Apparently the Hopi Gods are pleased with the 9th Circuit ruling because they have allowed the Snow Gods to drop some freshness at Snowbowl in time for Christmas. Snowbowl is sporting a 40" or thereabouts base.

Sunrise is also opening this weekend and my buddies Tim and Erich already sent me an invite that I have to decline due to my trip to Denver. Sunrise also has good snow.

This morning, I awoke at 6:00AM so some thick fog. It still has not cleared. The storm dumped on Phoenix for the last week and a half and may help get some water in our depleted reservoirs. But who cares about a drought. All I care about is that it leaves enough snow to get some skiing in. See, I am selfish like that...

UPDATE: I spoke with several religious leaders including Gov. Mike Huckabee who speaks directly to God (the Christian God, not the Mormon God) who thinks this is a ploy by the Navajo and Hopi Gods to defuse your lawsuit by claiming “see, Snowbowl doesn’t need snowmaking”. Joe Shirley is behind these snow storms. James Dobson has come out in support of the recent snow storm and of snowmaking in general, but cautions that if we don't teach intelligent design, I am no longer allowed to say "Pray for Snow". Instead I am only allowed to say "Think Snow". Oprah is holding a rally today about it. =) I love primary season.

UPDATE: I am getting folks that stop by and think I am hating on the Mormons. Nothing further from the truth. I am pointing out that Mike Huckabee and other religious leaders that support his run for the Presidency are saying some pretty funky stuff about the role of religion, God, and government in making decisions going forward. I am stating flat out that I believe that Joe Shirley and Mike Huckabee are akin when they make government and political decisions about religion first. Huckabee and his backers are the ones talking about who believes in the "real" Jesus. I think the whole thing is kinda funny myself. But this is not my political blog. I will save those comments for somewhere else. check www.sayanythingblog.com and look for Justin B.

Posted by Justin at December 12, 2007 09:18 AM

Comments

I can't wait to get onto the slopes this weekend. After a long long summer and fall, winter is finally here in AZ! It's not a whistler or a vail, but both Sunrise and Snowbowl offer AZ skiers a repreive when long travel isn't available. My fiancee and I are driving to Sunrise on Saturday, then to Flag on Sunday.

I am getting more confident by the day that we are going to have a good season.

Posted by: Justin C. at December 13, 2007 04:19 PM

Funny the Mormon's are Christian:

Christian: 1 a: one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ

Posted by: Ac at December 18, 2007 03:38 PM

The Mormon God and the Christian God are the same. Check out www.lds.org if you're confused.

Posted by: Me at December 18, 2007 03:42 PM

Sorry, that was a slight against Mike Huckabee who believes that they are not.

Go one step further about James Dobson and Focus on the Family that refused to allow Mormons to participate in their National Day of Prayer:

PROVO -- A Utah County interfaith group is refusing to participate Thursday in a National Day of Prayer event in Orem because national and state organizers won't allow members of the LDS Church to lead prayer services.

Instead, the Utah Valley Interfaith Association, which represents 40 faiths and includes members of the LDS Church, will hold a separate service later this month.

Linda Walton, a UVSC chaplain who has chaired National Prayer Day events in Utah County for three years, said the prayer event's state coordinator, Gregory Johnson, told her she needed to be "more selective about who was leading out."

"I didn't understand what he was getting at at first," said Walton, a Seventh-day Adventist. "But then it hit me that he was saying they didn't want anyone who isn't a traditional Christian."

President Truman declared an annual National Day of Prayer in 1952, and President Reagan designated it as the first Thursday in May. The National Day of Prayer Task Force is a nonprofit, grass- roots organization that helps local groups organize events across the country to observe prayer day. The services are open to members of all faiths -- but only members of evangelical Christian churches can lead prayers.

The event's national chairwoman is Shirley Dobson, wife of James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family. James Dobson can be heard daily on KSL NewsRadio 1160, which is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I was actually making fun of what a douche Huckabee and Dobson are and the way they are treating Romney which is probably a little off topic, but again demonstrates exactly why we don't want government decisions made based on what one person's religion values as sacred. Electing Huckabee would indeed be as bad for the country as the Snowbowl decision was for religious freedom.

Posted by: Justin at December 18, 2007 06:43 PM

Thanks for Clarifying Justin :)

Posted by: Ac at December 20, 2007 11:15 AM